Sunday, November 18, 2018

Time Flies...


Seems like only yesterday...



By the time I arrived (by birth) in Reno, Highway 40 had been paved over Donner Sumit.

Mom drove my sister and I through this canyon to visit the Dentist in Reno.



My best fiend went to work for the local radio station when he was 14.



I remember logging meter readings every hour on the old RCA transmitter.



It ran a pair of 833s in the modulator and another pair in the RF Final. Inefficient as hell.



Around 1964, it was replaced with a Bauer 707.



A better rig in many folks opinion.



During the summers of 64 and 65, we were a "Top 40" station in the afternoons and evenings. And we had a jock named "Gus the Gopher" from KXOA. Sean O'Callihhan and I remained friends for decades though he went to KLOK in San Jose and I migrated to San Francisco television. I became a 'broadcast engineer.' Sean was 'on-air' talent.

Oh well... that was then and this is now.



Before "man-made global warming" kicked in, we would get up to 20 feet of snow on the summit. Hell, a heavy winter did in the Donner Party. My Uncle Slim lived across the highway from the old Donner Cross.

We had our share of 'characters.'



No comments: